Saturday, February 16, 2013

Testing for Intelligence?


As an educator, I have commited myself to looking at "the whole child" and not just one aspect of the child in education. I consider the home environment and social, emotional, and mental aspects of the child in addition to and possibly as indicators of their success, or lack thereof, in school. I am not an advocate of testing children for intelligence unless it is something the parents desire for their child. I witness my preschoolers and kindergartners suffering because of requirements we have put on them to learn and show their learning through standardized testing. This goes against their natural development. I know that it is not standard for preschoolers and kindergarteners to take standardized tests but they do- in the form of local school assessments given at the beginning, middle, and end of the year towards a school improvement goal. They are graded on a rubric that the rest of the school (1st-3rd) uses. It sets them up. As far as testing in the elementary grades period- I don't agree with it. There are curriculums with worksheet after worksheet after worksheet given to the student and then at the end of a unit- an 8-14 page multiple choice unit test! The stresses of it on students, not to mention teachers to cram information down the students throat that they "should" know from previous grades, and for students to recall it all at a moments notice is not realistic. Then to measure the effectiveness of teachers based on the test scores? Ridiculous. I believe that in order to test a child's knowledge of a concept, alternative forms of assessment should be allowed, like book reports, or powerpoint presentations, or an artistic expression, etc. The pressure is too much surrounding standardized tests like Terra Nova for a third grader. 

I lived in South Korea for three years during my high school career and had it not been for the exceptional, supportive teachers and family I had- I would have had a hard time coping with the stress of my AP classes. I went to the military school however. Korean children experience something in school that makes my little nervousness about tests look like small potatoes. I did have the opportunity to visit many public schools through playing sports but I never got to experience how school was for them. I knew it was a serious thing as I walked through the market on Saturday and saw bus loads of children and students in uniform with bookbags walking to and fro. I learned that education is very important and college is even more important. Many Korean children attend public school as well as private school in order to get the skills necessary to score high on an entrance exam. "Higher education is a top priority for many Korean families and the percentage of university graduates is among the highest of any country in the world" (Cramming in Korea, 2011, p.19).  Many Korean children are in expensive private education with 88% of those being in elelmentary. These private establishments are referred to as "cram-schools", where students study and cram information pertinent to scoring high on tests. High test scores are desired and many parents send their children, elementary and high school alike, to study abroad- a very expensive feat which is one of the reasons for the low birth rate in South Korea. "Much of this exodus is driven by parents' desire to have their children become fluent in English, a highly prized ability in a country well aware of its need to compete in a globalized economy. But some seek to free their children of the pressure-cooker atmosphere of the Korean education system with its overwhelming emphasis on acing standardized, multiple choice tests" (Cramming in Korea, 2011, p.20).

If we differentiate instruction and tailor education to each student's needs so they can acheive success on their level, how can we expect them to do well on a standardized test that is just that- standard. We do not teach standard children. These tests do not include tailoring or differentiation. All students take the same test and are scored the same way. The idea and practice of standardized tests contradicts what we are encouraged to do inside the classroom. I understand we want all children to be successful, but when they get out into the real world- no one is going to make concessions for them. So are we setting them up for failure? Are we providing and allowing students to get accustomed to unrealistic expectations of assistance? People (society) will not go out of their way to make accommodations and modifications just so someone can feel successful.

Resources:
South Korean Education http://site.google.com/site/southkoreaneducation/
Branigan, W. ( 2011). Cramming in Korea. Development Asia (April- June p.19-23). Retrieved February 11,2013 from www.developmentasia.com

4 comments:

  1. Lemora,
    This was an exceptionally well-written and extremely informative blog that I enjoyed reading. Thank you for sharing this blog with the class and providing so much insight from your own personal experience. I think it is wonderful when you have experienced intelligence testing across the world and in the US and can share the differences. I too view the child as a whole rather than "bits and pieces" of them. Standardized tests were hard for me to do in school because they were so boring. If educators who create these tests focus on the children's abilities and emotional intelligence, they would be more able to develop testing that meets the needs of everybody.

    Shayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemora,
    This was a great experience that you were able to share as well as informative. Working in Japan, I see the similarities in the structure that Korea places on its students, I also see that many of us were left more with questions than answers. Standardized tests were personally hard for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how informative this blog was! Definately an enjoyable read, especially being able to share your experience of living in Korea and what youve gained educationally from it. I agree that we do not teach standard children. I remember in high school, kids would be pulled out of class to be assisted with reading and answering standardized tests. I never understood how that would help anyone. It is so important to help expand a persons mind and not just adhere to it; giving children an easier way to be pushed through school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemora,

    Do you believe that we should take a different approach in schools looking at the quality of teaching and working together with students and not how much they can learn in 8 hours a day? Many times its just memorization and the children aren't really retaining what they learn. I remember being a kid and drilling concepts and readings into my head and memorizing what the text book said but then forgetting it all after test. Coming up with different methods would be a start!

    ReplyDelete