Saturday, June 1, 2013

 Sharing Web Resources
Professional Development/ New Insights

The Zero to Three website is stock full of information about early childhood development and care. One area that stuck out to me and is very pertinent to my professional development is their Military Family Program. Featured there is the Coming Together Around Military Families training  series that is utilized on military installations all over the world. There is also insightful literature designed to support a young child whose parent/ caregiver has been injured physically or emotionally while on deployment. This book is titled Sparrow (little bird's dad goes away for a while and comes back injured and cannot fly with little bird like they used to all the time, but little sparrow learns that just because dad cannot do the things he used to do it does not mean he does not love him just the same and even more) and it addresses the issues a child might face when a parent returns home from a deployment. The book is available in two versions (Poppa and Momma).

In light of a recent deployment that just took place before school let out and will continue to take place when school is back in session, I feel it is important for me to review the resources available to me as a teacher of military children so I can do the best I can at providing a safe and understanding environment in my classroom.
Support?
It is very evident through the website that neuroscientists support early childhood through their journals and articles. There is a plethora of information available about the brain development of young children.
Other New Insights
I learned more about policies and how they are formed , and how I can better advocate for early childhood policy in my local area in the Public Policy section on the website.

3 comments:

  1. Lenora, I chose the same website, Zero to Three. I enjoyed reading your post and how the organization is helping and supporting military families. As you said, Zero to Three has an array of resources in other areas, with over 1700 professions in the areas of family assistance, mental health services, and public assistance services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemora, I think that is some useful information. Many children or adults, do not know how to cope with their parent returning different than when they left. It is difficult for them to understand exactly what their parent are going through. It's good those military children have the support of educators like you who genuinely care. Thanks for the information.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the website provides the services to military families. I know when my husband deploys it is hard on our children. It takes time for everyone to adjust when he returns as well. I think having those books available is wonderful!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete