Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Supports
 
My everyday supports:
-glasses/contacts
I use these daily to see correctly. If I did not have them I would not be able to drive, read, cook, clean my house, work in my garden, or teach effectively.
-planner
I use this planner to write down everything! All of my appointments, practices, lesson plans, important information, directions to places, etc. I know that cell phones can do all of those things but I like the support of my planner. I have often said that if I ever lost it- I would be lost!
-my Mom and Dad
These two are daily supports for me. I talk to them everyday and see them most everyday. They are my personal cheering section. It is really neat now because at this time of my life I am able to give back to them all they have deposited in me over the years. Without their support I would probably be depressed and unproductive.
-my best friend
She is also an educator and we are able to share with each other and vent to each other. She is someone who knows everything about me and she still chooses to love me anyway. We currently are roomates and it has been neat to have someone there to cook dinner or to watch movies with. Also, recently I had major surgery, so she has been a trmemndous help in doing certain things for me until I get my strength back. Without her, I would probably be depressed and have a lot of pent up frustration.
 
I imagine for me it would be really difficult to have some kind of language challenge. As a military child I have lived in lots of different countries and amongst different languages. I know how I felt coming into a country where English was not the prominent language outside of the military establishment. It was scary, confusing, and not fun. If I could not speak English, I would need a personal translator with me at all times, visual aids, and it would help to have all signs and textbooks to be in my language and in English simultaneously. If these things were not available, I would feel like I did when I was living in a foreign country before- scared, confused, and not enjoying the new country I lived in.




2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post! I, like you, need assistancewith my vision in order to function throughout the day. I chose the contact method. I found that I could only see in glasses if I look straight, if I try to be sly and look out of the corner of my eyes, I see nothing again LOL! I also find language to be a challenge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemora, I too have lived in a country where the language was not English, and have known the frustration of trying to communicate and not being understood. I REALLY appreciated the support of my friends who spoke the language when I got meningitis and needed medical care. It was so frightening-that experience helps me to want to be a support for others who have difficulty with language issues! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete