Friday, October 11, 2013


The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression?

My memory happened about five months ago when I arrived home from work, I had noticed my lawn had been cut. I had asked the young man who cut it for me not to cut it when I was not home (for safety reasons) and this happened to be the third time he had done so. I decided that I would pay him but no longer require his services. I drove around the corner to his house where his step father was sitting out on the porch. He called for the boy to come out and I gave him his money and told him I would no longer need his services. I also told him why and he said he forgot. As I was leaving his step father asked me where I got my truck (I had just purchased it the month before). I told him and he said it must have been a nice treat from my husband. I told him I was not married and to that he scoffed and said “you bought that all on your own? And you own that house up there on the hill? I thought for sure you had a man living there with you. I never heard of a woman doing that all by herself. My God! Well that’s a nice truck and if you ever need anything (creepy emphasis here) at all, you know there’s a man right here.”

This specific incident displayed sexism at its best. I thought it odd for him to think I, a hard working woman, could not buy a house and a car without the help of a man. He thought it odd for me to have done it. He acted like I was a freak of nature. This diminishes equity because he didn’t take into account my individual ability as a woman without a man. This incident , number one made me laugh at his ignorance, number two made me gag at his offer of manhood to assist me, and number three made me proud of my accomplishments. Did I feel a twinge of apprehension because I do want a husband one day? Nope. J

In order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity that man’s thinking about the capacity of women needs to change. And perhaps meeting me has started that process for him...

3 comments:

  1. Lemora,
    This is a great post of sexism! Being a single woman myself I tend to "roll my eyes" at the ignorance of some people, especially men, when it comes to single women. I realize there are things a man can do easier than a woman, but we care capable of taking care of ourselves, working and purchasing things for our home etc. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lemora!
    Great post! First of all let me start off by saying "high five" to you and all your accomplishments. There are many ignorant men out there who still believe that women need men in their lives to function. I do realize that there are a lot of things that come easy to men which may be hard for women but it doesn't mean that it's impossible for us women to do.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Lemora, that by him meeting you that his perceptions of women may start to change. Upon reading this I first wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishments and then commend him for his honesty. Although it was indeed sexist, he did admit to not knowing a single woman could obtain those things on her own. Great Post!
    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete