Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Childhood Web
Mom
-Caring, intelligent, loving, nurturing, strong woman of God
My Mom is a beautiful, intelligent, and strong woman who loves theLord and her family. She taught me to believe in myself and she encouraged me to be who I wanted to be. She trained me up in the way of the Lord and that training has shaped me into the woman I am today. She would sing to me and teach me the things I needed to know for school. With my Dad being in the Navy and out to sea frequently, mom juggled two kids and a job at the Base Exchange.

Dad
-Protector, leader, loving, hard working man of God
My Dad, although he was gone a lot when I was a child, always wrote letters and sent pictures from the ship to my brothers and I. He taught me to always keep trying and never give up or just accept what people say as truth but to believe in who I am in Christ. He taught me how to build things (which has been very helpful in my adult life).

Mrs. Vicky (Meme)
-Sweet, caring, compassionate
My Mom's best friend and fellow Navy wife who would watch me while my Mom worked. She reinforced the values my parents were teaching me. She was a Montessori teacher and she taught me how to pick flowers, dust and sweep, and set the table. As well as many academia focused lessons.

Mrs. Olymphia Smart (tutor)
-Intelligent, caring, giving
A teacher I babysat for during my tenth grade year. She was the ninth grade algebra teacher in my high school overseas in South Korea. I struggled with geometry terribly and she tutored me through the whole year. She would spend her lunch hour with me everyday helping me to understand the concepts in geometry. If it had not been for her, I would have failed geometry my tenth grade year. She helped me to feel confident in doing my very best.

 Mrs. Denny and Mr. John Smith (friends of the family)
These were the parents of my best friend at the time, Sara Smith. They lived across the street from us when we moved out of military housing and into the civilian community in Virginia. Although Sara and I had our ups and downs, like any eight and nine year old friends would), Mrs. Denny was crazy about me. Whenever I went over their house we would always do something different like bake cookies or make crafts of some sort. They exposed me to new things that I had not done before. They were my first taste of different culture in a family not my own. Mr. John was a hunter and they had stuffed animals all over their house. I tasted venison for the first time in their home, and some other things I don't remember. I believe that being exposed to this at a young age helped me when I we moved over seas not to shun something just becasue it is different.





1 comment:

  1. Lemore, I see your family and friends really had a impact on your life. Your family gave you that nurturing that you will always cherish. And then your extend family was there also to help when your father was away. What a support system. Also,I know you have lasting memories from traveling the world at a young age.

    ReplyDelete